Subject: Accellerators for A4000
From: [email-masked] (Bill Mills)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 94 12:08:11 PDT

Today is not a happy day.  I lumbered into the office at 8:00 (didn't
get in 'till 3:00 last night).  Bleary eyed, I fired up my demo machine,
and started moving some files between hard drives to get it ready for a 
presentation this week when whammo, the mouse pointer stopped moving.
I rebooted the machine, and nothing :-(.  A few hours later, and many
component swaps (fortunately I have 4 other 4000s in stock at the moment)
I discovered that the A3640 '040 doughterboard was bad.  

Since I've got to shell out some cash for another CPU board, it might 
as well be a fast one, and most importantly one that won't give me
any hastles with Lightwave and or the Toaster.  At the moment, I'm leaning
toward a 40MHz Warp Engine, because the SCSI-II means I could pull the
Fastlane that's in there now.  Any pros/cons you fellow LightWavers
can bring to light regarding the Warp Engine, and or any other accellerators
(such as GVPs) for the A4000 with LightWave and the Toaster?  Also, what
about RAM?  Will I need to toss my current 16 Megs of Fast RAM (70ns)
for something faster, or will using it just give me a speed penalty??

BTW, if anyone is interested in that FastLane card at a demo discount
(warranty, etc. intact) or a dead A3640, drop me some mail direct.

Be seeing you...
-Bill "Spending over $1K that I didn't plan on" Mills

[email-masked]
---------------------------------------------------------------------
 (=====)   Corinthian Media Services       Video
  | | |    (209)277-8150                   Multimedia
  | | |    2562 N. Dewey Ave.              Touch Screen Info Centers
  | | |    Fresno, CA 93722                Production/Consultation
  | | |
 (=====)   This is a guest account, CMS is not affiliated with CSUF